Monday, November 6, 2017

Autumn reflections and Mothers Out Front

My daily walk takes me past tumbling streams, ponds, cows, horses, wetlands and woods.  There's this one spot where the water rushes from a dam behind a screen of trees with leaves of deep pink and yellow.  Sun or cloud, that spot always seems to have its own light.
I never tire of this path.  It feeds my senses and reminds me why staying alive matters so much.
I'm not contemplating suicide if that last sentence sounds ominous.  No.  I'm seriously worried that the human race is going to either blow itself up or die a slow and ugly death as a result of runaway climate change.
Of course, having such dark thoughts concerns me.  What separates me from the people who simply continue going about their daily routines?   If I were young and still employed would I even notice the issues that seem to consume my every thought?  Have I become a "dotard?"  Am I the liberal version of a typical FOX News viewer? 
I don't think so.  I think there really is a reason to be concerned and that this worry is cross-generational.  For me, the evidence lies in organizations like Mothers Out Front.  I've been to their marches and rallies in West Roxbury and was very impressed with their unapologetic demand that politicians act to save the future for their children. 
I was delighted that MOF opened a NH Chapter and immediately joined.  
Next Tuesday, Nov 14th, Mothers Out Front's, Emily Manns, is on a panel about creating "Green" hubs to support innovation.   It's at the Center for History and Culture in Peterborough at 7 PM.
I'm really looking forward to it.
That's it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment