Saturday, March 29, 2014

April Fools Meeting

It's really not a joke.  There's an important meeting in Rindge on Tuesday night.  I am putting out a plea for people to attend Tuesday night's Public Hearing on whether to remove the Charrette from the Master Plan. I think if we are going to kill the work product of volunteers and employees paid by tax dollars, we should have an audience of people who understand they are witnessing the rewriting of history. Will we be removing books from the library next? We are also told that we can't be communicating with Regional Planning Commissions because they are unelected bureaucrats who are pawns of our Federal Government. That's like saying you should only get surgery performed by a politician. Of course they're NOT elected! Do you think that's what engineers and scientists are trained for; to push a political agenda? So, okay, I think Free Speech trumps any "will" of the People. Laws and rules that get passed to abridge Free Speech are bad laws and rules. If I have to stand alone, I plan to challenge the right of the people to throw out our work, remove the things we described about "our vision" of Rindge's future, or keep us from talking to recognized experts on the many aspects of planning and conservation. If someone else wants to speak, I am happy to yield, but at least people should come to witness the death of Free Speech in Rindge. 
I never campaigned for or against the zoning ordinances.  I have always felt people had a perfect right to object to and vote down zoning changes.  But what happened this year was something different altogether.  I have shared the kind of emails and comments I've gotten from SOT with my friends and family.  I've described their attack on a PB alternate... I anticipate similar attacks on me.  My loving family has begged me to back off and give it up before I get hurt.  So, this is my last public stand. 
I also tip my hat to Roberta Oeser with whom I often disagree, but respect her dedication, intelligence, and courage.  She stood up several times against a mob pushing lies and propaganda.  She has been very level headed and brave.
EVERYTHING that was done with the Charrette was done lawfully and with full openness and invitation to the public to participate. People who CHOSE not to participate now want to tear up everything that was done and not allow us to talk about the future at all. "They" have already announced that they will be ready to kill any future plans. Great. 
Wear black or black armbands. Put tape over your mouth. 
Tuesday night, "April Fools," at 7 PM at the Town Offices. Get there early and dress in mourning...we are witnessing a death. I hope I won't be alone.

9 comments:

  1. You are a bumbling idiot that hurts your cause. Please show up and talk. Remember Robertta will never be re elected. So dont become too positive about her. She is a lame duck selectman with no credibility. Rindge is changing because the voters want it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to know -- what's in it for YOU Pat? And why do unelected bureaucrats trump the voters? Apparently not enough people had input, and when they found out later, they GAVE their input. Nuff said? You better read about regionalism here: http://www.freedomadvocates.org/regionalism-blueprint-serfdom/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Webmaster, that's a good question; "What's in it for me?" I will answer, but I'd also like to hear what's in it for you. What's in it for me is that I am an engineer who has been involved with energy management since the 1970s when I was in college at UNH. In my working life I used that passion to build a career designing low power computers and laptops. I am a nerd and a problem solver. I love the idea of squeezing more performance out of less power. I also believe in community and served as on the Energy Commission in Westford, MA from 1980 to 1988, before I moved to Groton and then to Rindge in 1999. I haven't actually ever earned any money for environmental energy (buildings, streetlights) energy management since I was a college student, but it is a passion of mine. The RPCs are not the only places to get support and current information, but they are one of the best places. I was NEVER elected as an engineer. People hired me for my expertise; not my politics. So it is with the people who work for the RPCs. ( Hey! Millipore gets federal funds...should we think Larry Cleveland is an agent of the UN because Millipore is environmentally responsible and works with the federal government? ) The doctors I see, the mechanics I trust; none of them were elected. So, that's my answer. I have a talent and I am lucky enough to be retired and content with what I have. No one owns me. The only pay I get is a small job coordinating a weekly dance class for people with/without disabilities at Crotched Mountain. I am a woman in the last act of her life who thinks she can make the planet better for the next generation. That is the answer to why.

      Delete
    2. So, the basis of your argument is that enough people did not participate in the Charrette to make it valid? How did you arrive at that conclusion? Seriously. What is the proper number for involvement to make it valid? What if "enough" people (for you) won't volunteer? No more planning? It is a logical fallacy. It sounds like a good argument, but you have no reference point to offer. This is NOT a valid argument for "throwing out" the charrette. I realize when you are the person who didn't participate, it feels like 0% involvement, but it wasn't.

      Delete
  3. Frank...err..."Anonymous," I am publishing this so that people can see for themselves what I've been dealing with when I disagree with SOT. Please, do enlighten me on what my "cause" is? Would that be the "Bill of Rights?" You're pretty brave when you hide your identity, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You articulated your point of view well, and you are an asset to any community. Rindge is lucky to have such a talented resident who is willing to give of herself.

    I'm not quite sure why some are boxing with shadows, seeing threats to our communities. I'm a lifelong resident of this state, and my ancestry here stretches back a long long way. This... paranoia over government funding is beyond idiotic, rooted in some myopic vision of imaginary bogeymen out to impose some robotic way of life on us poor rural New Englanders.

    As happens too often, intentional ignorance fed upon itself, and a town shot itself in the foot.

    And no anonymity from me.

    nelle douville

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will not be standing alone. As for anonymous you are nothing but a bully. I did not enjoy the manure you want to spread. I am sorry that I did not pay more attemtion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah! I truly hope people will turn out to stop the death of Free Speech in Rindge.

      Delete
  6. Someone emailed me to say that they are not comfortable with black clothes, armbands or tape over their mouths. Please come anyway...it WAS a bit of hyperbole, I admit. I am passionate about this, but people shouldn't feel there is a required "dress code" for protecting free speech. Thanks for your understanding.

    ReplyDelete